Instagram -->

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

kids these days

I have a major crush.  It's not so much a single person as it is an entire group of people.  I'm crushing hard on early 20 somethings.  Not that twenty was thaaat long ago for me or anything, about fifteen years ago to be exact...but who's counting?  (Let's be real, with 36 knocking on my door in a mere few days I'm counting, but I digress.)

The point here isn't my mid-30's angst, but rather the amount of amazing talent I am seeing from the next generation of up-and-comers that are hot on the heels of my peer group.  These "kids" that were born anywhere between 1979 and the year 2000 (some say 1980-2000) are known as Millennials, and in my opinion, they're lighting things on fire.  Here's a quick run-down on the generational break-out as defined by people who define such things:  (*Note: some material shamelessly stolen directly from an "Inspired Training Institute" speaker that came to my company to present on generational differences in the workplace.)


  • Veterans (born between 1922-1943)  Think Colin Powell and your grandfather.
  • Baby Boomers (born between 1943-1960)  Think Oprah Winfrey and your mom.
  • Generation X (born between 1960-1979)  Think Jennifer Aniston and yourself (maybe).
  • Millennials (born between 1979-2000)  Think Mark Zuckerberg and your little cousin.
  • Generation Z (born between 2000-2020)  Think your kid.





I made Oprah's picture larger than the others.  Why?  Because she's effing Oprah, that's why.

We, as children of our respective generational groups are known for having certain personality traits that help define us, albeit in a very general way.  Not surprisingly, Veterans are known for their dedication and self-sacrificing tendencies.  They also value honor, duty and conformity.  Baby Boomers are known for their belief that their work defines their worth.  They are also optimistic, having been a generation of people that made much better lives for themselves than their parents before them did.  Gen X'ers are known for being self-reliant (since many of our parents were busy working), fun, and informal...a very "call it like we see it" generation of people.

The Millennials are known for many things (not all of them positive), but among the top characteristics of this fascinating generation are their street smart and techno-savvy ways.  They are also talented multi-taskers since they grew up listening to music, while watching TV, while Skyping, while doing homework all at the same time.  They have a heroic spirit in the sense that they refuse to stand by and watch others suffer if there is some way they can help.  They are naturally optimistic and believe that things can change, that they can improve.  (This is partly why the Obama "Yes We Can" campaign hit home so hard for this generation of young voters).  


*Fun little Millennial graphic (if you are reading this on your phone, good luck.)*
Millennials have a number of admirable qualities, but the one that has me crushing so hard is their desire to not just find a place in the world, but the desire to find their place in the world.  What I mean is that this generation of people won't go work at MegaCorp because they have to, if they take a job at MegaCorp it will be because they wanted to - because they believe MegaCorp is making a difference.  This is a generation that wants to figure out what color their parachute is, and do the thing that will allow them to make the greatest contribution to the world - people who want to leave their mark.

Now will some Millennials take a job at MegaCorp because the starting salary is $73K/year with full bennies?  Of course they will.  But in their off hours they will be doing improv comedy or selling their wares on Etsy in hopes of someday turning their true passion into a living.  I also admire their ability to prioritize what matters most.  This is a generation that puts family life before work, which is a unique quality generations before them didn't have.  A girlfriend of mine recommends I read Homeward Bound by Emily Matchar (thanks for the tip Rushmie).  Here is the publisher's summary of the book:


"What happens to our society as a whole when smart, high-achieving young women are honing their traditional homemaking skills? Emily Matchar offers a smart investigation into this return to domesticity.  There's no doubt about it: domesticity is enjoying a major comeback, with the explosion of stitch n' bitch knitting circles; our sudden fascination with canning, cheese-making, and grinding our own flour; and a tidal wave of memoirs in the "I quit my corporate job and found fulfillment on a Vermont goat farm" vein. Why are women embracing the labor-intense domestic tasks that our mothers and grandmothers so eagerly shrugged off? Why has the image of the blissfully domestic, vintage-clad supermom become the medias feminine ideal?"


I am ashamed to say that once again, I have not yet read the book.  Work has been busy lately okay?  I am dying to read this based on the jacket art alone.  *Note the shoulder tattoo on the highly domestic knitting hipster.  Fantastic.  Maybe I'll ask for this for my birthday (the book, not the tattoo).

I also admire the way these folks seem to have a renewed respect for all things local, domestic and hand crafted.  Our big box/big carbon footprint generation of flatscreen TV loving, Costco shopping adults are being replaced by a highly conscious group of consumers who want to know what they are buying, where it came from and who made it.  The craftsmanship and quality of the product they are buying is as important to them as the product itself.  They will go a little further and pay a little more for locally grown/raised produce and meat.  For example, my little cousin and her chef husband host an annual farm to table supper at a sustainable farm near their home.  She also wears a conflict free diamond ring.  No, I'm not crushing on my cousin (ewww), but I do love her for caring.

As for me, I shop at a "regular" grocery store where I often cheap-out and buy the scary opposite-of-organic chicken.  I have no clue where my engagement ring originated from.  I don't drive a Prius and my kids don't wear organic cotton.  I'm not saying we should all be so concerned with the decisions we make that we cripple ourselves and our ability to lead normal lives - but I do like the way Generation Next is making us stop and think.  

The bullwhip affect these "kids" are causing is contagious.  It's making us all want to know more, question more, explore our personal talents and make the greatest possible contribution.  I'm excited to see the change they will bring about for my Generation Z kids, and I'm grateful for the inspiration they're providing to those of us who came before them. 








No comments:

Post a Comment